Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 08:20:05 -0700
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        root@jd-unix.wpafb.af.mil, ywliu@lin.wsl.sinica.edu.tw
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Anonymous Account with ftpd

|>  >       I would like to continue to have ~ftp in /usr/home/ftp, but would
|>  > like ~ftp/pub to point to /usr2/pub, i.e. My other HD...
|>
|>  I don't think this can be done, since anonymous ftp account is chroot'ed.
|>  The symbolic , such as pub -> /usr2/pub , is not goning to work. Its root
|>  dir is ~ftp.
|>
|>  What I have done is try to remount another partition under ~ftp/pub. Or
|>  using NFS to export /usr/pub to itself is another good try.

Under SunOS/Solaris, this would normally be done using a loopback mount.
(Faster than NFS, maintains unix semantics, and doesn't open the security
hole of having an NFS server running...)

I see that the mount(8) man page references mount_lofs, but there is no
mount_lofs man page, nor is there an /sbin/mount_lofs.  Does anyone know
why loopback filesystem support seems to be missing from FreeBSD?

-Pat