Date:      Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:46:18 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3
References:  <9B7FE91B-9C2E-4732-866C-930AC6022A40@netconsonance.com> <6010676B-91B0-4AF8-ACF8-039A59B29331@netconsonance.com> <200806050248.59229.max@love2party.net> <B9B83C12-7130-490D-A4BE-0469711B24DC@netconsonance.com> <20080605083907.GD1028@server.vk2pj.dyndns.org> <902E9703E6E50776A17E9F92@utd65257.utdallas.edu> <20080605220244.GP1028@server.vk2pj.dyndns.org> <34E9F0D46D7B9F45EDA38F4C@utd65257.utdallas.edu> <86tzg6aeye.fsf@ds4.des.no> <5B0709D83455470DA46533C4@Macintosh.local> <d763ac660806062341lf4cb4c7rfdd9276077940640@mail.gmail.com>

--==========931817CF8F8B8EBAF4D1==========

--On June 7, 2008 2:41:32 PM +0800 Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> =
wrote:

> 2008/6/7 Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>:
>
>> Not only is this wrong, but it completely misses the point.  Why should
>> Jo have to upgrade to find out if his servers will fail under the
>> conditions already articulated in existing, unresolved PRs that affect
>> hardware that he is presently using?  That's a bit like saying, "Buy
>> this new car.  Sure it has bugs that could easily directly affect you,
>> but what's the chance you'll encounter them?  in the off chance that
>> they do, then you can help us resolve them."
>
> The software is Free. The car was Bought (or suggested to be bought.)
>
> Re-visit the analogy with a free car that a friend wants to give you.
> (Car analogies suck.)

Yes, they do.  It was the best I could come up with on the spur of the=20
moment.

>> Trust me.  From a server admin's perspective, a bug affects you if it
>> exists in hardware you use.  Whether or not you're actually using the
>> OS is completely irrelevant.  Upgrading to the OS would be foolhardy.
>> Even testing it on a handful of boxes will not prove that it won't fail
>> under load in production.  Anyone who has done testing knows it can
>> only simulate, not duplicate, the conditions under which production
>> servers run.  I personally have experienced catastrophic failures after
>> extensive testing that revealed no problems.
>
> You're using free software. This translates to "lots of people have
> put in a lot of effort to provide something to the community which
> they can use, at no cost, if it suits them."

Of course.  What it *shouldn't* translate to is STFU and eat our dog food=20
or go somewhere else.

>> I've lectured enough.  If anyone doesn't get the point by now further
>> explanation isn't going to help.
>
> I still don't think you get it. FreeBSD is a community. A community
> works when enough people contribute positively towards furthering the
> goals of the project. Jo is a user. He sounds like he is using it in
> some reasonably critical and money-earning roles. Jo can participate
> by testing stuff on test hardware, reporting back issues and working
> with the community. Bitching about there being no long-term support
> for releases isn't constructive. Some developer comments may not be
> constructive either, but this is a -community project-. Join the
> -community- and help out.

Here's a hint for you.  Jo already contributes.  So do I.  Furthermore,=20
both of us deeply appreciate the work that the developers do to produce=20
FreeBSD and have stated so repeatedly.

> It doesn't matter if running a long-term support project would be
> beneficial for a certain subset of the userbase, its a losing
> situation to cater to them unless they somehow contribute back to the
> community.

This is precisely the attitude that I am objecting to.  Translated for the =

average user it states, "If you're using and not contributing, then shut=20
up.  You haven't earned the right to complain."

Open source projects are not free.  They cost the developers in time and=20
effort.  They also cost the users in dealing with untested bugs, dealing=20
with making many disparate pieces of software work together rather than=20
using a fully integrated commercial package.

Open source projects also have benefits.  Developers get the benefit of a=20
huge plus on their resumes.  This translates directly into increased=20
income for some of them and could for all of them.  They also benefit from =

intangibles such as the pride of a job well done, the respect of their=20
peers and the admiration of their users.  Users get benefits as well.=20
They get to use a system that works better than many commercial products=20
and has a great deal more flexibility.

But don't think for one minute that open source is free for users and only =

costs developers.

Neither "side" deserves to be insulted and talked down to.

Maybe some developers need to quit.  If the work is so difficult and=20
stressful that they can't behave in a professional manner, perhaps it's an =

indication that they've overextended themselves and need to take a step=20
back.  There are few that have displayed an attitude that clearly states=20
that they think they are doing all the contributing and users are doing=20
nothing.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Paul Schmehl
If it isn't already obvious,
my opinions are my own and not
those of my employer.