Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:10:37 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup on amd64 just broke today

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 10:17:07AM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>
> > I meant, why isn't it buildable from source in the ports collection?
>
> Checking the commit logs, I don't think Peter ever committed the patches
> to make ezm3 work under amd64 native.  The port on amd64 just downloads
> the same binary you were using .. the i386 version and an extra library.
> ezm3 builds the runtime libs needed to compile Modula-3 apps.
>
> Interestingly, jdp just touched that port. I guess he doesn't have peter's
> patches, or hasn't adapted them for the distro yet.

It is a wonder the amount of FUD surrounding CVSup on AMD64.

I personally did 98% of the work to update the ezm3 port to version 1.2.
That lays the ground work to port ezm3 to 64-bit AMD64.  The version of
GCC that ezm3 was based on didn't really produce usable AMD64 code.

If you look at the mess of patches and total hack job Peter went thru to
build what he did, it would be clear why none of that was added to the
ports.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)