Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:17:29 +0100
From:      Fluffles <etc@fluffles.net>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror issues (fdisk?, disklabel?, newfs?)

Fernan Aguero wrote:
> gmirror label -n -v -b round-robin gm0s3 /dev/ad6s3 => SUCCESS
> Metadata value stored on /dev/ad6s3
> Done.
> gmirror load => SUCCESS
>
> Next I try to create partitions on the newly created gm0s3:
>
> bsdlabel -w -B /dev/mirror/gm0s3 => FAIL
> bsdlabel: write /dev/mirror/gm0s3: Operation not permitted
>
> Why is this failing?

Because the GEOM device is 'in use' by gmirror; you have labeled it and
it's probably configured then; no direct write access to the geom device
is possible then unless you play with debugvars. I suggest you label
(install bootblock etc) before you give a "gmirror label" command. Make
sure gmirror is unloaded, too, because if it's loaded it will look for
the last sector on all geom providers for stored metadata; and configure
a mirror device automatically thus denying you any direct write access
to the device.

- Veronica