Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 2003 13:36:48 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/48018: telnetd(8) manpage appears incorrect regarding gettytab

>Number:         48018
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       telnetd(8) manpage appears incorrect regarding gettytab
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD sub21-156.member.dsl-only.net 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #5: Tue Nov 26 21:45:30 PST 2002 root@sub21-156.member.dsl-only.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP i386

	The telnetd manpage clearly states in the Notes subsection that
	the telnetd will consult /etc/gettytab and process the 'im'
	capability if specified, and that if the 'if' capability is
	specified that this will override 'im'.  telnetd does process
	the 'im' capability, but ignores the 'if' capability.  It seems
	apparent from the telnetd source that it doesn't even check for
 	the existence of the 'if' capability.  Please see line 778-794 of
	file /usr/src/libexec/telnetd/telnetd.c.  Whereas, the manpage for
	telnetd(8) reads:
	"You can also use a System V style /etc/issue file by using the if
	capability, which will override im.  The information specified in
	either im or if will be displayed to both console and remote logins."
>How-To-Repeat:
	Create the file /etc/issue, or whatever you happen to have
	specified in /etc/gettytab for the 'if' capability.  Then
	attempt to login to the machine in question using telnet.  The
	contents of the file /etc/issues is not displayed along with
	the login prompt, although the contents of the 'im' capability
	are displayed.
>Fix:
	I suppose there are two approaches.  Either configure telnetd to honor
	the 'if' capability of gettytab as the manpage states, or remove the
	offending text from the Notes subsection of the telnetd(8) manpage.