Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:55:42 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcl81 port takes forever to START building

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 03:21:42PM +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> The reason for the long waits is the multiple "make" calls inside each of
> the _PORT_USE macro users, like fetch, extract, &c.

This isn't quite correct, but those do compound the problem.

The tcl81 port is a bad port to look at because it twiggles some bug
that is best either fixed or worked around - namely adding
USE_X_PREFIX to the environment shouldn't make any difference in
speed, but it actually makes an order or magnitude difference.

In the case of 20+ second waits for tcl81, something causes make to
spend a _lot_ (ie. 20+ seconds) inside the .for loop that constructs
the _MLINKS variable.  I currently have a patch that essentially takes
this loop away and works around the bug (make has extremely slow .for
evaluation anyways, bug or no bug, so it's a good idea regardless).

> I think the only way to really fix it is to cordon off all the make calls
> to sed, awk, and other crunchers when you're not doing something that
> actually needs that work to be done.

The problem is that you can't know when an individual port Makefile
(eg. ports/xxx/yyy/Makefile) is going to require the results of one of
those make calls.

> If nothing's been done on this in two weeks, I'll consider myself
> volunteered.  (National Arts Festival/Grahamstown Festival is on)

I have an 875 line message that I didn't send to the -ports list
discussing slowness (parts of the problem were already being addressed
before [MI] started jumping up and down).  I didn't send it to the
-ports list because 1) it's rather long, and 2) it includes patches
that I'm not officially submitting yet (they'll get copied to -ports
when/if that happens).  I am, however, looking for comments on it and
will gladly cc a copy to you or anyone else who thinks they actually
have time to try and make changes and run some tests backing those
changes up.  You [Neil] just got yourself a copy.  :)

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.