Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2018 12:04:04 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Michael Tuexen <tuexen@fh-muenster.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>, Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Failed attempt to boot a (non-debug) head -r339076 on an old PowerMac G5 "Quad Core" (built via devel/powerpc64-gcc): Waking up CPU 1

On 2018-Oct-8, at 10:25 AM, Michael Tuexen <tuexen at fh-muenster.de> =
wrote:

>> On 8. Oct 2018, at 19:00, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> [kern.smp.disabled=3D1 is confirmed to enable booting
>> my head -r339076 build on teh "Quad Core", much like
>> the 11.2 reports for "2MHz dual-core".]
> Does 11.2 run with smp enabled?

[My wording was poor: "reports" in "11.2 reports with
smp enabled" was referring to reports by you and others
on the lists, not screen messages from attempting a
11.2 boot.]

No clue at this point for the G5 "Quad Core". I have no
11.x context established, and have not since head
went from 11 to 12, as I remember. Would trying to boot
an installer/live for 11.2 be sufficient to test
this?

A debug kernel build did not appear to report anything for
smp enabled for head. The boot -v did report "Waking up CPU
2" before it stopped echoing messages.

Is there a bugzilla for this old-multi-processor/multi-core
G5-PowerMac issue?

I moved the SSD to an old 2GHz PowerMac G5 with 2 single-core
processors (not: one dual-core processor). It also had the
problem. It did report the "Adding CPU 1" line as the
last message. (There should be another "SMP:" message after
that as I remember.)

Again kern.smp.disabled=3D1 allowed the boot. But top showed
both processors active. And the fan gradually wound up to a
sustained high speed even though the PowerMac kept operating.
The shutdown -p now had to wait for each of various processes
to timeout. It looks like kern.smp.disabled=3D1 is somewhat
messed up for some hardware.

(I did not look for such on the "Quad Core": its fan did not
prompt me to look at what was going on.)

I do not have access to other types of PowerMac G5
examples or any other type of powerpc64 computer. So
I can not directly check a single dual-core processor
test-case or any others.

<freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> Does it boot when you disable SMP by adding
>>> kern.smp.disabled=3D1
>>> to /boot/loader.conf
>>>=20
>>> This turned a non-booting/hanging up dual CPU G5 into a
>>> very stable (single core) machine...
>>=20
>> Sure enough, kern.smp.disabled=3D1 lets my -r339076
>> devel/powerpc64-gcc based build boot on the G5
>> "Quad Core".
>>=20
>> Unfortunately I jumped from -r333594 (May-13) to
>> -r339076 so I can not well narrow the range for
>> when things changed beyond that.
>>=20
>> I see that the original report was for 11.2,
>> while I'm using head. Also that Justin reported
>> seeing the problem on a 2GHz dual-core too (on
>> 11.x I assume).
>>=20
>> So we have . . .
>>=20
>> 2GHz dual-core (11.2)
>> 2.5 GHz "Quad Core" (2 dual-core processors) (head)
>>=20
>> as contexts so far, not that the internal issue
>> needs to be the same for the two, but it might be.
>>=20
>> I wonder if 11 at, say, -r333583 (May-13) might
>> be before its problem. If so, it might be easier
>> for someone using 11.x variants to find when
>> it broke in 11 than to do so for head, presuming
>> the problem is common.
>>=20
>> Is there a bugzilla for this?

=3D=3D=3D