Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2015 18:58:27 -0800
From:      Freddy Andersen <fandersen@youmail.com>
To:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: do-install fails when files in .PLIST.mktmp are truncated

Thank you ben! you have no idea how helpful the make and makeplist was =
for me :) the issues was not with my Makefile but rather that I did not =
understand what roll the pkg-plist had in the do-install process. I=E2=80=99=
m all good now and my updated hadoop2 builds and install =E2=80=A6=20

Now I just need to figure how I can get this sent to upstream after some =
testing on my end.

> On Jan 8, 2015, at 3:02 PM, Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> First off, since this is your first attempt to update a port, welcome! =
There may be a slight hurdle to get over to understanding port basics, =
but once you get there it is quite rewarding.
>=20
> This resource is priceless, read it and refer back to it often:
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/book.html =
<https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/book.html>;
>=20
> Also, the great thing about ports is you can read all of the shell =
scripts that are doing the work if you don't understand something (such =
as copytree_share), by grepping through the files here:
> /usr/ports/Mk/
>=20
> Lastly, the mailing lists do not have the formatting features of the =
forums, so no need for the [FILE][/FILE] stuff.
>=20
> I would say the most obvious thing for your port is the need to update =
the pkg-plist file which lists ever file your port will install on the =
system. Easy way to test this with your updated port is to do the =
following:
> # cd PORTDIR
> # make clean
> # make
> # make makeplist
>=20
> That will dump the new plist to the console standard output, but =
doesn't actually update the pkg-plist for you (you have to do that by =
redirecting the output to the file). But note, you need to follow the =
instructions of the first line (delete the first line, and check the =
output of the rest of the file looks reasonable). I would redirect the =
output to a new plist file and compare the difference before overwriting =
the main plist file: