Date:      Wed, 7 May 2014 08:53:02 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vm+ipxe+pxeboot fail

> On May 7, 2014, at 3:57 AM, amine tay <amine.tay91@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Thanks Mark for your reply,=20
> I have already tried to comment out the option "one-lease-per-client" and a=
lso simplified the if statement but no changes. I guess the probleme as Doug=
 said the iPXE is sending a client ID and the pxeboot isn't.  So then ISC DH=
CP server doesn't like
> that and gives a different IP. So i guess the solution is to patch bootp.c=
 for the pxeboot. (I will let you know if it works )
> And you're right I'm trying to pxeboot FreeBSD and use puppet to customize=
 the machine.
>=20

Help me better understand why one would want to do this, over pxe booting to=
 a nfs rooted FreeBSD environment and running puppet ?  I guess I just don't=
 see the big picture here .

> Thanks.
> Amine.
> =20
>=20
>=20
>> Sorry for the delay in my reply .
>>=20
>>> On Apr 30, 2014, at 9:42 AM, amine tay <amine.tay91@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Hi Mark thanks for your reply,
>>> I have my root-path in dhcpd.conf and etc/exports.
>>> my dhcpd.conf :=20
>>>=20
>>> authoritative;
>>> subnet 10.28.236.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>>>=20
>>>   one-lease-per-client on;=20
>>=20
>> Comment out the one lease-per-client option .
>>=20
>>>   range 10.28.236.10 10.28.236.250;
>>>=20
>>>   default-lease-time 1200;
>>>   max-lease-time 43200;
>>>   dynamic-bootp-lease-length 1200;
>>>=20
>>>   option ntp-servers 10.28.236.1;
>>>   option broadcast-address 10.28.236.255;
>>>   option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>>>   option domain-name "xxxxxxxxxxxxx";
>>>   option domain-search "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";
>>>   option domain-name-servers 10.28.236.1;
>>>=20
>>>   allow duplicates;
>>>   allow unknown-clients;
>>>   allow booting;
>>>   allow bootp;
>>=20
>>=20
>> Can you simplify this block to just serve the razor.ipxe image to any req=
uest ? So remove the fixed address and the if statement .=20
>>=20
>>> host freebsd {hardware ethernet 00:50:56:99:0b:c4; fixed-address 10.28.2=
36.14; option root-path "/opt/razor/image/image/os/7I2RjjQvo7IkbqO4rLv6kJ";}=

>>> if exists user-class and option user-class =3D "iPXE" {
>>>   filename "razor.ipxe"; # we are in an iPXE kernel and load static scri=
pt
>>> } else {
>>>   filename "undionly.kpxe"; # we are in burned in PXE and load iPXE kern=
el
>>> }
>>>   next-server 10.28.236.1;
>>> }
>>>=20
>>> And the Freebsd pxeboot loader is launched by razor.
>>=20
>>=20
>> I suspect the issue is the allow duplicate and one lease per client optio=
ns clashing with pxeloader  .  Is your goal here to pxe boot FreeBSD then us=
e puppet to do a custom layout of the install ?=20
>>>=20
>>>=20

f , etc/exports is mis configured , the nfs server is disabled or if you hav=
e loader built with tftp support you do not have a tftp server setup / runni=
ng .