Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 13:21:12 +0430 (IDT)
From:      Massoud Asgharifard <masu@peik.bol.sharif.ac.ir>
Subject:   2940-UW timeouts with tagged queueing (reposted with more details)

Hi all,

 I am trying to install an information server for our company, but I get
SCSI time-outs with the 2940-UW (bios revision 1.32 perhaps C), when
tagged queueing is on. when it is off, I get much lower performance. this
is my hardware config:
Pentium II-266Mhz
FX-440 Intel motherboard,
two quantom IDE harddrives.
one Adaptec SCSI controller (bios revision 1.32C)

the harddisk I 'have to' use is PROCOM-RL43 (a 8x2G raid set) for a total
size of 17216MB space.

Kernel Version 'I have to use it too!' is 2.0.30.

I tried another revision of controller (1.21) and it worked painlessly,
but, is there a patch for fixing the problem for 2940UW-1.32C for
linux-2.0.30? or there is something wrong with that controller? controller
makes kernel to generate time-outs during a simple execution of 'mke2fs -b
4096 /dev/sda1' where /dev/sda1 is a 7G paritition.
I've to make the system work till Sept. 10th. any and all ideas are
welcome.

regards,
  Massoud.