Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:10:23 -0700
From:      Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can we learn from this article?

> http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/14035.html
>
> from OSOpinion, expresses the concern that a huge opportunity was missed
> by not advancing the free Unixen in the gap between Win2k and XP.  Now
> that XP has headless server control and other features that make it more
> condusive, what is the possibility that IT managers will go with XP
> instead of a non-MS server OS?  Will performance matter at that point?
> Or will security be the up-and-coming burning issue for XP?

They've got to be kidding. I've hear that osopinion.com approaches slashdot
levels of idiocy at times, but this one is over the line.

What's with the claim that people are "wasting their time arguing over kde
and gnome"? In the free software world, the general low-clue pointy-hair
managers do not exist. So, instead of them, we get the troll kiddies, the
ones that whine all day about this being better than that. What difference
does it make? It's not like either of them ever write any useful code.

The claim that win32 will now stomp the unix world because it has serial
console support and some shell tools is pathetic as well. Since when does
just catching up to the rest of the world make one superior?

Next on amazon.com: "I'm A Massive Tool", by Adam Barr.

Admittedly, I enjoy the occasional piece of anti-linux propaganda, but this
article is just useless. As for the notion of learning something from it,
the only lesson here is that some people are best ignored.