Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 1997 11:08:58 -0500
From:      Troy Settle <pitlord@usit.net>
To:        "D. Zelenak" <dzelnak@crtelco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -=| Few Questions |=-

D. Zelenak wrote:

> I am very interested in getting FREE BSD. I am a bit confused on a copule
> of subjects though. The first is which files to download off of your FTP
> site.. I tried the automatic FTP download.. That doesnt seem to work out
> for me. You have a lot of files in the RELEASE2.1.6/ directory.. What will
> I need. When I selected in the BSD installation setup I selected the 70Meg

If you don't want to use the ftp install option (it does work, I did it
over
a 28.8), and you want to pick-and-choose what portions you wish to
install,
you're best off grabbing the contents of the /bin /manpages and /doc
directories, and installing them from a dos partition, which brings us
to...

> install. The second thing is can it co-exist with Windows95 on one
> partition. I had my hard disk seperated into two partitions and after the
> install both had been converted to non-dos type and I had to fdisk, format
> and restore from tape. I would like to avoid this if possible. Can you make
> any suggestions? Any response would be appreciated.

Yes, FreeBSD can co-exist with Windows95.  I've done this, and more (up
to 5
operating systems, spanning 2 disks, and several partitions).  The trick
is,
to have win95 installed and running on it's own partition, leaving
enough room
for a FreeBSD partition (I'd reccomend at least 350megs as a minimum
system for
most beginners).  When you install FreeBSD:

1. Select novice
2. partition: create a FreeBSD partition using all unclaimed diskspace
(>350M)
3. label: for most users, selecting 'A' for automatic labeling is a
better choice
4. media selection:  existing dos filesystem, FreeBSD files should be
under
   C:\FREEBSD\BIN, C:\FREEBSD\MANPAGES, C:\FREEBSD\DOC, etc...

Don't forget to do a post configuration to add a user for yourself, and
set the
root password.  Don't worry about package installation at this point,
it's
sometimes easier to do this after your system is up and running.

The rest is going to be up to you.  this will give you the bare minimum
to get
your system up and running with the information you need to put it on
the net
and download additional parts of the distribution and packages.

> Thank's for your time.
> D. Zelenak
> <dzelnak@crtelco.com>

Your welcome, I'm just procastinating going to work today.  Thought I'd
at least
try to be helpful.

g'luck,
Troy

P.S.  I'm not sure, but I think all this information is located either
in the
handbook or the FAQ (http://www.freebsd.org)