Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 21:38:08 -0800
From:      "Shan-Min Chao" <shanmin@lvdi.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Super User

Hi!
    I am new to freebsd, and I recently bought the CD to learn more from it.
I have 2 questions  concerning setting it up and using it, however.

1)  I have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, and I am currently trying to install
FreeBSD 2.2.2.  It's registering a conflict in the port address between the
keyboard and mouse device, and I can't find a way around it.  I need a mouse
to use XWindows, but I can't get past this step.  If it has something to do
with recompiling the system, please walk me through it.  If you don't want
to walk me through it, that's fine - I will figure it out.

2) I have trouble logging on as super-user using any of the normal user
accounts I created during setup.  I get an error of something like "Not in
the correct class to su root".  Please help me.  Also, I can't press
backspace and erase any mistakes I type when I log on as a normal user,
because it prints ^ and a character when I do so.  When I log on as root,
this doesn't happen.

I appreciate your helping me.  I am a beginner at UNIX and greatly
appreciate any help you guys can give me.  I know my questions sound like
they come from an imbecil, but I am taking a brave new step in a new
frontier.  Thank you very much for having a tech support line.