Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:42:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   chrsh and permissions.

Well, newbie I am and I made a lot of mistakes with my "anonymous telnet"
project. The idea was to have a "jailed" user bla, who should have an
world readable public_html. Now, the default permission for /home, as
described at http://www.eq.net and in chrsh.c, is 750. I changed this to
755 in chrsh.c and this works nicely. (Surprise, surprise, compiling
worked without the complete sources..)

Now I'd like to know two things:

How "unsecure" has the system become by this change ? Or doesn't this
matter at all, as long as /home isnt world writable ?

Is there any way to make the FBSD ftpd accept passwordless accounts ?

My system is 3.1, the standard CD version...

Thanks,

Heiko