Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:15:34 +0100
From:      "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.nl>
To:        Erwan Arzur <erwan@netvalue.com>, Roman Le Houelleur <roman@IPricot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bandwidth analyser

> >  Moreover, concerning the bridge, I was wondering if
> > there is a way not to put a third interface in promiscous
> > mode. As this third nic exists only for management purposes
> > I don't want it to participate to the bridge in any way.

Use the ng_bridge node if you want to have precise control over which
interfaces are being bridged.

There's one downside though. You can get statistics from the bridge node on
packets and octects passed through the different parts of the bridge
setyup, but it's not IP based. Also using that bridging code there's no
bandwidth throttling or IPFW rule matching yet.

Vitaly Belekhov wrote BW throttling and ipfw netgraph nodes for 3.X, and I
will be porting those to 5.X-CURRENT over the next few weeks.

Using those you could get statistics really quickly by using libnetgraph
and querying the nodes yourself with some C code instead of shell/perl
scripting.

         DocWilco