Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 15:23:45 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Robert Lynn <grumpyoldman0@yahoo.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: squake AND quake.x11: revisited (dont we just LOVE this?)

In <199808060145.LAA24519@cain.gsoft.com.au>, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> > i get to Console initialized. Then a coredump. I dont
> > have any sound drivers at all (my ess wont work for some odd reason
> > ) Same in squake :P ANyone know why? i was cat'ing the
> > core file and it compiaings about sounds then....
> > Uh, sound dead.
>
> Well, squake won't work :) Its the svgalib version, and the linux svgalib
> won't work under emulation.

Sure it does, Amancio did this. Check the archives. For me, it works
at least to run it with a 3dfx card.

> The X11 version should work, although I did notice that Quake 2 crashes
> without a sound car available, but I thought Q 1 didn't have a problem, but
> maybe it does :-/

The problem here is that Quake2 uses the mmap interface to the
soundcard. Only Amancio's driver for the GUS (which isn't being built
anymore...) implements this.

> You could try downloading the demo version of OSS from
> http://www.4front-tech.com and see if it works :)

Their version for -current usually don't run on recent -currents (for
me) and you need -current to get the Linux emulation patches for
Quake2...

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer