Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 2004 10:24:41 -0600
From:      Peter Schultz <pmes@bis.midco.net>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interrupt storm on acpi0 occurred after madt.c change

Nate Lawson wrote:
> It should work fine in Linux.  mp_config_ioapic_for_sci() in
> arch/i386/kernel/mpparse.c has an exception for Tyans:
>
> /*
>  * Although the ACPI spec says that the SCI should be level/low
>  * don't reprogram it unless there is an explicit MADT OVR entry
>  * instructing us to do so -- otherwise we break Tyan boards which
>  * have the SCI wired edge/high but no MADT OVR.
>  */
>
> This is for the case where there is no source override in the MADT for the
> interrupt defined as ACPI_FADT->sci_int.

Well, I just tried suse 9.0 with a vendor provided smp kernel 2.6, and
they don't appear to have acpi enabled.  Would you like me to compile a
custom kernel?

I was really enjoying the use of acpi as I was able to power down the
machine by simply hitting the power button.  "Imagine that!"  I did have
to fix several errors in the DSDT, but acpi was working okay, timer and
all, or so it seemed.

Thanks guys,
Pete...