Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:10:09 -0700
From:      "Jack Vogel" <jfvogel@gmail.com>
To:        "Andre Oppermann" <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Prafulla Deuskar <pdeuskar@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: TSO patch for current

On 9/5/06, Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Prafulla Deuskar wrote:
> > Andre Oppermann [andre@freebsd.org] wrote:

> >> OK, perhaps they lifted it from your patch then.  They just looks awfully
> >> similiar that's why I thought it came from NetBSD.
> >>
> > Your patch looks good and is the way to go.
> >
> > So after Jack confirms that your patch works with the em driver
> > would you commit to to -current?
>
> Absolutely.  :-)
>
> > The driver related changes can follow..
> >
> > Later we also need to fix ifconfig so that user can enable/disable TSO on the interface.
>
> I'll do that together with the TSO code.

OK, I've built and done some touch testing of this. I like it, the driver has
some counters of the number of TSO bursts it does, and I think I see more
per netperf test with your patch than mine.

Hard to do real performance testing with all that WITNESS stuff in, but
I will be making a 6.1 version of your patch to test with since I have my
driver running on that anyway.

If you do the ifconfig changes there will need to be a small amount of
code added to em_ioctl() but it should be trivial.

You want me to reissue a driver patch with changes for your code?

Cheers,

Jack