Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 16:43:59 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        randal@comtest.com
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Embeded applications?

> On 22 May 98 at 16:22, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > Basically, you will need to tweak the part of the PicoBSD build process
> > where it generates a 1.44MB image, and have it generate an image that
> > contains a partition table.  (See the stuff in the vnconfig manpage
> > about this.)  Keep the image under 1.44MB, so that you can still put it on
> > a floppy.
> >
> > Then you can dump this on top of the flash disk using something like
> > rawrite.  You may need to roll some custom utilities for this.
>
> I took a look at rawrite and it looks like it only works on floppies.  I guess I
> need to make my own utility.  Any ideas where to start?

Read 512 bytes from the image file, write to the first sector on the
disk.  Read the next 512 bytes from the image file, write to the second
sector on the disk.  Repeat.

Use the BIOS int13 calls to do your writing.  You'll need to query the
BIOS equipment list for the geometry, (or ask the user).

> > A slightly easier solution would be to get a PC104 IDE adapter, and use
> > an old IDE disk to transfer stuff around.
>
> Actually the board has an IDE controller on it already.  I guess I just need to
> get a spare IDE drive to shuffle around.  But still how would I transfer the
> image?

Plenty of ways - put DOS on the IDE harddisk, use a comms program to
download the image over a null-modem cable for example.