Date:      Fri, 06 Oct 1995 02:47:39 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        armando_ferreira@il.us.swissbank.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help ! Problem with Ethernet card

>>I am having trouble installing a Western Digital card on my PC.
>>
>>The configuration I used in to configure the kernel was
>>device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  5 iomem 0xCA000 vector edintr
>>
>>I changed the jumpers on the card to match the above irq and memory address
>>configuration. and I get the following problem at boot time:
>>
>>Can you please tell me if there is something else to setup or if I have done
>>something wrong ?
>
>   This usually indicates that there is another card in that shared memory
>area. Try the values 0xc8000, 0xd0000, and 0xd8000...and see if any of those
>will work for you. It's only necessary to change the kernel (no need to change
>the settings on the card for this).

   I just realized another thing: Do to the way that these cards are designed,
I think there might be a requirement that the shared memory address be on
16K boundry - so you should use 0xc8000, 0xcc000, 0xd0000, 0xd4000, 0xd8000,
or 0xdc000. On some motherboards you might also be able to use addresses in
the 0xe0000-0xec000 range, but this often does't work.

-DG