Date:      12 May 2003 11:46:45 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        Rob Lahaye <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject:   Re: How to make Mozilla display Korean (or CJK-type) characters?

--=-m+DQq/LOcSgW7Y/nNPE2

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 08:29, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 12:47:57PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> > >=20
> > > Indeed that did it!
> >=20
> > Can you give me a site using the characters in question?  I have no
> > problem displaying non-Roman (Cyrillic in this case) characters, as wel=
> > as Japanese Kanji in Mozilla _with_ Xft support enabled.  In fact,
> > http://www.kr.freebsd.org/ looks fine to me, too with Xft.
>=20
> I tested with http://freebsd.jp.freebsd.org
> The characters were displayed as a square with 4 hex digits in them
> I guess the number were Unicode or something like this.
>=20
> > With all font issues in Mozilla, you must have fontconfig, freetype2,
> > and Xft ports up-to-date.  If you add new fonts, make sure you add them
>=20
> fontconfig-2.1_2
> freetype2-2.0.9
> IIRC these were recent when I first noticed this problem.

They're not anymore.  You should update to fontconfig-2.2.0, and
freetype2-2.1.4_1.

>=20
> > to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts, ~/.fonts, or, if another location, make
> > sure you add that location to /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts/local.conf per the
> > instructions at
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html#=
ANTIALIAS
>=20
> Sound like much to read - and given that I run XFree86-4.2.0_1,1 on
> my display.
> Are you expect this might a problem on the X-server?
> I had not thought about this, because no-roman fonts always worked
> until then.

Mozilla uses a completely new font system now.  If you want to take
advantage of it, you need to make sure all your ports are up-to-date.=20
If you're happy without anti-alias support in Mozilla, then I guess
you're done.  However, I can confirm Korean webpages work for me in
Mozilla with anti-alias support.

Joe

>=20
> > Then run fc-cache -f as root.
>=20
> Well - this is the server side for shure.
--=20

--=-m+DQq/LOcSgW7Y/nNPE2

--=-m+DQq/LOcSgW7Y/nNPE2--