Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 2004 13:57:45 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        DOT <dot@data.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't reattach gbde slice [testing]

In message <20040903214133.144779e2.dot@data.pl>, DOT writes:
>On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:05:56 -0400
>Allan Fields <bsd@afields.ca> wrote:
>
>> Can you indicate your number_of_keys parameter you are
>> using in -i?  Anyone using anything other than default 4?
>
>In both situations my device was initialized with number_of_keys set
>to 1 (one).

Another idea:  Do you use a detached lock-location file  (-L option
to gbde init) ?

If not, is there any chance the first sector of the gbde partition
has been overwritten ?  Check your disklabels etc.  Also, if it starts
at the very beginning of the disk, check that nothing slammed a MBR
or similar down there.