Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 00:10:24 +1100
From:      jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using CVSUP to update the Ports collection...

Hi there

I'm new to CVSUP and how you use it. I've been following the
instructions in Greg Lehey's book. I'm trying to update the ports
collection in my FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE system, in an effort to bring
them up to date (ssh files are missing from servers etc).

Is it OK to update only the ports collection without the rest of the 'world'?

Also, how do you do it properly? I think I've stuffed up my ports
collection by using CVSUP, as the 5 or so programs I've tried making
since all fail. My cvsupfile (/src/cvsup/cvs-cvsupfile) looks like
this:

*default release=cvs
*default host=cvsup.au.freebsd.org
*default base=/src/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default delete
*default use-rel-suffix
*default compress
ports-all

and I ran the following command:

cvsup -g -L2 /src/cvsup/cvs-cvsupfile

which cause it to be busy for a while downloading a fair whack of stuff.

But it's put all the guff straight into the /usr/ports heirarchy, is
this what's supposed to happen? Or should I have gotten cvsup to
bring the stuff down into /src/cvsup/something instead and then
checked out what I wanted? I'm a bit lost here as to what you're
actually supposed to do with cvsup.

Please include jesse@va.com.au in your replies

cheers

jesse