Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 2020 14:45:34 -0600
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
Cc:        Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@shaneware.biz>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BLENDER 2.79

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 2:31 PM Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info> wrote:

> Hello world :-)
>
> I have been using Blender-2.79 from Shane's Red Ports repository on
> GitHub because Blender since version 2.80 (current port is 2.82)
> unfortunately removed the Blender Game Engine (BGE) which I am using
> for work.
>
> The only solution so far is to use older Blender2.79 that still has
> the BGE. Blender developers just removed something with no alternative
> and no plan for alternative. Luckily I found Shane's repository that
> provides port for older version.
>
> Another solution is to have UPBGE Blender 2.80 fork with experimental
> and refreshed BGE included, unfortunately the BGE API has changed and
> it is not backward-compatible.
>
> My question is can we include both Blender-2.79 and UPBGE in the
> official ports tree next to official Blender release? All dependencies
> are provided, all of them works fine next to each other. It would be
> really handy to have at least Blender-2.79 from PKG.
>
> https://github.com/sambler/sambler-redports/tree/master/graphics/blender279
> https://github.com/sambler/sambler-redports/tree/master/graphics/upbge

BGE is gone and done, and in most cases FreeBSD does not keep old
versions of ports around, and that's especially true for massive and
complex projects like Blender.

When UPBGE matures it'd be great to have it in the tree, but bringing
back unsupported and unmaintained older versions of software isn't a
path we go down very often. If Blender were a trivial build, it'd be
more feasible, but the complexity of the maintenance burden is
difficult to overcome.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger