Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:20:29 +0100
From:      "Neil A. Carson" <neil@causality.com>
To:        bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Possible bugs in FreeBSD kernel

Greetings,

While running FreeBSD no my laptop, I've come into the following
problems. I'm using a slightly old -current source tree and possibly
some of these issues may have been fixed---I can't see that they have
though. As usual, be prepared to accept the possibility that I'm talking
complete rubbish and have got everythign wrong :)

I'm running ona Fujitsu Lifebook 900 laptop with P233 CPU.  I have a
plug-in 3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA card connected to a 10BaseT network.

1) Ethernet: This seems to pick up and use the zp driver, so my
interface is zp0.
	- This driver, for some reason, eats system time for
	  breakfast. On NFS ops my system regularly boosts to
	  70% of its time spent in the kernel... Don't know
	  what doing.
	- During inward FTPs, I get around 100KB/sec xfer rates
	  due to repeated stalls for around 1/2 sec. Wierd.
	- In intensive NFS ops (eg dd from /dev/zero to a file
	  on an NFS mounted FS) I get very good xfer rates,
	  but the thing occasionally hangs the kernel which
	  then recovers 30-40 secs later.

2) APM: It seems a while ago in FreeBSD the APM `cpu lower clock
rate on idle' option aws disabled. It used to use a #if NAPM>0 thing
in there, but someone disabled this in favour of a function vector
for the idle/hlt code instead. I can't see any evidence to suggest
that this vector change was implemented in the general APM code, so
it could be that most CPUs aren't saving power out there. I might
have missed this, though.

Sorry if this is a complete waste of time...

	Cheers,

	Neil