Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 16:20:02 -0800
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley-185-205.res.iastate.edu>, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious mbuf cluster leak..

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 06:16:13PM -0600, Chris Csanady wrote:

> >On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:15:29 -0800
> > "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  I can say that our implementation doesn't seem to =
> > > suffer from this problem.  Could be there's an issue in the use of =
> > > PRUS_* v. the socket state we use.  The code in my kernel looks like:
> >
> >The NetBSD code looks pretty much just like this, and also does not
> >suffer from an mbuf cluster leak of any kind.
>
> I'll take a look at the NetBSD code when I have a chance.  Are you sure
> you just have not seen it though?  I only see it over gigabit ethernet,
> and even then only when doing lots of large writes.  Perhaps it is a
> timing issue?
>
> I am only pointing out what I see.  It does not happen with source from
> before this change--so what else should I think?  You are welcome to
> take a glance at my driver, although I don't think it is the problem.
> There are only 2 places where clusters are touched, and they never
> become seperate from the mbuf header.  But I don't see any mbuf leak..
	Believe me, I understand.

We've been beating on this code for months, with 10, 100, and Gigabit
networking, using web server, high-volume UDP, file share, and other
tests.  That's no guarantee, of course, and different setups can
manifest different behaviors and bugs.  However, I do feel confident
that we haven't seen leaks.  Those would typically grind the system to
a halt, or result in a noticeable downturn in performance, and we just
don't see this (or, rather, we know the reasons for the problems we do
see :-}).

Could well be that there's a subtle difference in the two
implementations that shows up this leak under stress.  I haven't
looked at the code, though, and can't really comment.  Well, I could,
but it wouldn't help :-}

Regards,

Justin

BTW: I got mildly whacked by The Powers That Probably Are for
exhuberance in the use of FreeBSD mailing lists, so I presume one of
the lists should be dumped.  I'm removing the -current list, but
someone might forward if it's of interest.

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   *
Institute for General Semantics         |