Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2006 15:30:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [nycbug-talk] creating "local" ports (fwd)

Hello all,

I'm finding that there are a number of ports that we need to patch for
some functionality that's unique to our business (qmail, mailfront, etc.).
Currently we just do "make patch" and then apply our patches.  This works,
but is a bit of a pain to maintain.

Is there a way to create a "local" category?  ie: /usr/ports/LOCAL

We might occasionally look at the real qmail/mailfront/djbdns or other
ports and see if there's anything we want to pull in, but we'd most likely
be doing more work with merging in more of our own patches/software.

Is there some mechanism that I'm missing to deal with a local category?
I've been googling without much luck, and I didn't see this addressed in
the porter's handbook.

Beyond that, I have a few other questions:

-By default cvsup and (I assume portsnap) would nuke anything in
/usr/ports that was not part of the main ports tree.  How can this be
dealt with in a way that none of the current/future port update methods
will not clobber our local tree?

-How does one handle packages that depend on say, qmail, but I now want to
depend on local-qmail?  I know portupgrade can be tought this by setting
an alternate pkgdep, but is there any clever way of doing this so that
when you're not using portupgrade the deps are adjusted?

Thanks,

Charles