Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 2015 18:02:44 +0200
From:      Phi-Phong NGUYEN <phnguyen@biologie.ens.fr>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10.1 and ESXi 5.5 CARP setup

I have a problem with carp too on FreeBSD 10.1 servers and posted a
question but it seems to be more related to firmware network card.

However your problem seems simplier as I had the same :
If tcpdump reveals vrrp packets between servers and they are stuck in
INIT state, try this workaround :

Simply add in your /etc/sysctl.conf :
net.inet.carp.senderr_demotion_factor=0 # (default 240) If not, no
preempt -> bug since FreeBSD10

Cheers.

--
Phi-Phong NGUYEN