Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:07:12 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Ken Ingram <kingram@ipro.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding Hard Drives - Prepping

In message <199701101925.LAA25142@ipro.com> Ken Ingram writes:
: When I mkdir /articles and run mount /dev/rwd2s1e /articles I get the error:
:
: '/dev/rwd2s1e on /articles: Block device required'
:
: In order for 'mount /dev/rwd2s1e /articles' to complete properly does MAKEDEV
: produce the BLOCK DEVICE /articles? This isn't clear from the man pages.

The 'r' devices are the raw or character device.  You usually use that
to create the file system, partions and what not.  However, the kernel
wants the block device, which is found by removing the 'r' from the
front.

Warner