Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 17:18:51 +0100
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sppp behaviour

On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 02:35:28AM +1030, Mark Newton wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 04:33:39PM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
>  > What is the 'normal' behaviour for a rlogin (ssh) or telnet session
>  > when one is logging into an ISP who assigns dynamic addresses and
>  > the connection has an idle timer (inactivity) (that is, the connection is
>  > dropped after a certain time period).
>
> Same as on any other OS:  You get a new IP address when you reestablish
> your connection to the ISP, so the hosts at the other ends of any active
> network connections you happened to have open when you dropped your
> link will be sending their ACKs and data to someone else (who will
> no doubt start sending RST's, clearing the connections altogether, if
> anyone is responding on your old address at all).
>
>  > I have the problem that with FreeBSDs isdn (i4b) my rlogin (ssh)
>  > sessions die (are rendered unusable - lock o' city) regularly when
>  > the idle timer drops the connection. A subsequent awaking of the connection
>  > results in a different IP address being assigned from the ISP.
>
> This is perfectly normal, and is why "dial on demand IP with an idle
> timeout" sucks ass.

Well, 'dial on demand IP' worked perfectly a long as I had assigned a
fixed IP address from my ISP (the university campus). This service
has been dropped for a while (may be resurrected again). But it was very
comfortable to have an editor open, a phone call comes inbetween,
it takes 10 minutes. The ISDN line idle timeouts after 90 seconds
and I could continue with the editor session after 10 minutes
with the line going active again. (sure it's not quite like dialing,
it establishing the connection at a lower level).

But I'm thinking about how this sould be accomplished nonetheless
technically. There are sockets open at both ends and the route gets
lost inbetween. Could that be signalled to the process or could the
subsequent route change be signalled to the connection to change
the addresses it's bound to.

What is KeepAlive for in this context?