Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2012 19:50:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Wayne Hotmail <testdog@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Performance Help

Wayne Hotmail wrote:
> Like others I am having issues getting any decent performance out of
> my NFS clients on FreeBSD.I have tried 8.3 and 9.1 beta on stand alone
> servers or as vmware clients. Used 1 Gig connections or a 10 Gig
> connection.Tried mounting using Version 3 and Version 4.I have tried
> the noatime, sync, and tcp options nothing seems to help.I am
> connecting to a IceWeb NAS. My performance with DD is 60 meg a second
> at best when writing to the server. If I load a Redhat Linux server on
> the same hardware using the same connection my write performance is
> about 340 Meg a second.
> It really falls apart when I run a test script where I create a 100
> folders then create a 100 files in the folders and append to these
> files 5 times using 5 random files. I am trying to simulate a IMAP
> email server. If I run the script on my local mirror drives it takes
> about a one minute and thirty seconds to complete. If I run the script
> on the NFS mounted drives it takes hours to complete. With my Linux
> install on the same hardware this NFS mounted script takes about 4
> minutes.
> Google is tired of me asking the same question over and over. So if
> anyone would be so kind as to point out some kernel or system tweaks
> to get me passed my NFS issues that would be greatly appreciated.
> Wayne

You could try a smaller rsize,wsize by setting the command line args
for the mount. In general, larger rsize,wsize should perform better,
but if a large write generates a burst of traffic that overloads
some part of the network fabric or server, such that packets get
dropped, performance will be hit big time.

Other than that, if you capture packets and look at them in
wireshark, you might be able to spot where packets are getting lost
and retransmitted. (If packets are getting dropped, then the fun
part is figuring out why and coming up with a workaround.)

Hopefully others will have more/better suggestions, rick