Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 19:59:41 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: splashscreens

On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 02:05:18PM -0400, Rick Knebel wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am trying to use splash screens and keep getting this error message on
> bootup.
>
> Preloaded splash_image_data "/boot/bsd_matrix.bmp" at 0xf039c09c.
> Preloaded elf module "splash_bmp.ko" at 0xf039c0f0.
> module_register_init: module_register(splash_bmp, f03985dc, 0) error 19

One thing it can mean is that FreeBSD can't change your graphics
card to the VESA mode it needs. I had the same problem.

What resolution is your bitmap? Try 320x200 (looks crap on even a
15" screen though). That's the only size I can use (ATI Xpert@Work),
anything larger and I get an error 19.

More info on this is available on John Baldwin's website
(http://www.baldwin.cx I think, if not then check the -questions
mail archives for "splash" or there maybe a link from
http://www.freebsd.org)

HTH