Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 15:21:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        David Uzzell <duzzell@saintspc.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, David Uzzell wrote:

> I must say this. It not a Question but an observation.
>=20
> I have used Linux on and off since 93 and didn't mind it for myself. but
> FreeBSD is a whole new ball game.
>=20
> I got lost the first time I installed it and etc due to it differences wi=
th
> Linux. But.
>=20
> I love it. I sent 1Hr setting up my first ppp dial on freeBSD when my fir=
st
> linux took me 1 day. I know have no need for Linux other than for the
> desktop for sound and other such things which FreeBSD doesn't support as
> much.
> From this point on anything not requiring any extra things like this will=
 be
> running FreeBSD.
>=20
> To all those that ask difference between Linux V's FreeBSD.
> FreeBSD Easy to install, Moderately Hard to configure, Easy to use from t=
hen
> on. I have only been  using it know for 3 weeks after I discovered it and
> thought I would give it a try. I will not be ever running a server on lin=
ux
> again.

Nice to read this! :-)

My experience was similar. I started with Slackware Linux years ago before
I moved to FreeBSD (2.0-RELEASE, that time).

I had some hard time in the beginning (nobody I knew that time did use it,
nobody was there to ask - except the people reading my questions in the
newsgroup and mailing list - Joerg Wunsch gave me some valuable hints).

After some time, I'd have never moved back if not forced to by special
reasons. On a 16 MB 80486 system one could really feel the advantages of
the FreeBSD virtual memory engine.

Only some weeks ago, I gave a course about Unix installation and system
management. Some paticipants decided to install SuSE Linux, some decided
for FreeBSD. No doubt, SuSE has some nice tools for beginners (yast or
sax) but building a custom Linux kernel is a toture compared to building a
FreeBSD kernel. Want up to set a NIS slave server with Linux? Compared to
that, it's a child's play to do it with FreeBSD. On the other hand,
FreeBSD disk partitioning is more difficult to understand for beginners.
You need some time before you see the advantages.

Just some observations, I don't want to challenge any Linux user or
developer and don't want to start an endless debate.

Let's keep friends with the Linux people!

Have a nice christmas

Konrad

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=