Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 20:50:52 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        rohit@cs.UMD.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Giant Sized Ethernet Packets

>I was wondering if it is possible to send giant sized ethernet packets (>1500
>bytes say 1550) using the current 'de' driver for the SMC 10/100 DEC 21140
>cards.

   No.

>If not, would somebody know if this is possible with the above h/w
>at all?

   The answer to this is complicated, but it basically ends up being "no".
I just spent about 15 minutes looking over the DC21140 hardware reference
manual. It appears that the chip can except larger frames, but it signals
an error condition when this occurs, so I don't think you could do this
as a normal mode of operation. It also appears that it is possible to
generate larger than 1500 byte packets, but the frames wouldn't be ethernet
(the type/length field would not be IEEE 802.3) and you'd have to invent your
own encapsulation. ...that's how I read it, anyway. Perhaps Matt Thomas will
correct me on this.

-DG

David Greenman