Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 21:54:51 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>, Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>, Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How long for -stable [ Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/finger finger.c ]

In message <20001003174313.U27736@fw.wintelcom.net> Alfred Perlstein writes:
: * Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com> [001003 17:23] wrote:
: >
: > We could also look into providing an "update" command or something
: > which would pull either sources or binaries over from a snapshot box
: > and make the process of getting up to the branch-head a lot easier.
: > It's long been on my wishlist and I'm at the point where I'd be
: > willing to devote some BSDi resources to both writing the software
: > and setting up a build box for creating the relevant binaries on an
: > ongoing basis.
:
: You ought to go to the cube next to you, Mike Smith said he had something
: along the lines of that, er, something that would generate a binary
: delta that could be spammed over an existing install.

I've worked at companies that used cvsup to do this.  I also setup an
experimental cvsup box at one point to do this and it was fairly slick
to watch.  Ran into lots of problems from time to time with certain
binary changes, but that was nothing a reboot on the new machine
wouldn't fix.  Oh, I think there was also an issue with replacing
init, but I may have been misremembering.

Warner