Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 15:48:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        lehey.pad@sni.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, mollers.pad@sni.de
Subject:   Re: Confused!!!! (fwd)

I haven't answered because of the formatting.  It's impossible to
quickly scan through the provided information and see the problem
(but then I'm dyslexic and use eidetic memory coexamination as a
crosscheck for what I  read, so I may be the only one bothered by
the way the question was organized).

Comment if this is incorrect:

1)	One IDE drive.  Drive is primary boot device (DOS drive "C:").
2)	One SCSI drive.  Drive is seen by DOS FDISK as drive "D:".
4)	Want boot manager to boot DOS on IDE or BSD on SCSI.

If this is correct, then:

o	When you install BSD on the second drive, you *don't* want to
	use BSD to install the boot manager.  It doesn't do this very
	well because of OnTrack and similar translation strangeness
	not being equally applicable to both drives.

o	FDISK up the SCSI drive as a bootable drive.  You may have
	to disable the IDE and boot from floppy to do this.  If you
	disabled the IDE, reenable it afterwards.  This will put the
	standard DOS MBR on the SCSI disk.

o	Install BSD.  If you disabled the IDE in the previous step,
	it's easiest to do this with the IDE disabled (the SCSI drive
	will be drive "C:" if the IDE is disabled).

o	Make sure you can boot the floppy and give the device name at
	the floppy boot prompt and boot BSD from the SCSI.  This means
	that BSD is properly installed on the SCSI.

o	With the IDE enabled, use the DOS install for the OS-BS/Booteasy
	boot selector *after* booting from the IDE drive.  If you are
	running Windows95, you need to pick "Restart the computer in
	MS-DOS Mode" from the shutdown dialog".  You have to do this
	because:

	o	If you boot from a floppy instead of the IDE drive,
		you may not have the translation software correctly
		loaded.

	o	When you are installing OS-BS/Booteasy during the BSD
		install, it doesn't look for the translation software
		except on the install drive, and even then, it only
		looks for the translation software it knows about.

	o	Windows95 "MD-DOS Prompt" windows go through Windows95
		I/O by default (you *can* make one that doesn't, but it
		involves making a shortcut to the DOS prompt and changing
		the properties by clicking the "Advanved..." button on
		the "Program" tab and checking "MS-DOS mode" in the
		"Advanced Program Settings" dialog).

Now the boot manager will offer you to boot "DOS" (Windows95) or to
boot from the second drive (which has no boot selector, only a DOS
MBR with the BSD partition marked "active").

This presumes the SCSI drive looks like drive "D:" to fdisk and the
SCSI BIOS correctly implements interrupt chaining for INT 13.  Adapetc
does, not everyone else does.

Note that some BIOS incorrectly fill out the register that is supposed to
contain the device actually booted from.  If this happens, you will need
to replace the MBR on the second drive with the boot selector as well.
Do that with the IDE drive disabled, or after booting from a floppy instead
of the IDE drive.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---