Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:15:38 +0100
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Andrei Kolu <antik@bsd.ee>, Tony Maher <tonymaher@optusnet.com.au>, stable@freebsd.org, Martin <nakal@web.de>
Subject:   Re: 7.1 Release and usb keyboard/mouse problems

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 13:55:11 Andrei Kolu wrote:
> Martin wrote:
> > Am Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:23:09 +1100
> >
> > schrieb Tony Maher <tonymaher@optusnet.com.au>:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have been running FreeBSD 7 from around 2008-10-20 and experienced
> >> the occasional problems with usb mouse and keyboard.  The mouse
> >> pointer slowly drift to a corner of the screen and not respond, and
> >> the keyboard would become unresponsive. Unplugging and plugging back
> >> in fixed the problem. This would happen a few times per week.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've reported problems like this on -STABLE more than once already.
> > Apparently it is a very uncommon problem for the developers. I have to
> > say that all my new PCs and the new laptop has problems with USB
> > keyboards and mice generally. The laptop (IBM Thinkpad T60p) has the
> > most problems, -STABLE switches the USB devices off in intervals of
> > about 2h.
> >
> > I have updated (flashed) my BIOS firmware on this mainboard here
> > (Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R rev 2.1) to the recent firmware F4a (it's a
> > 6 month old beta release).
> >

> > The problem worsened now. I cannot get my USB mouse working until I
> > reattach it physically. This is not a problem on other OSes, it seems.
> >
> > During device detection and initialization of uhci/ehci my USB-mouse
> > is switched off and does not get power anymore.
> >
> > I get the same effect on -CURRENT as of yesterday. Mouse is Logitech
> > G5, btw.
> >
> > I tried various USB settings in BIOS. USB mouse support on/off, USB
> > legacy device support on/off. What else can I do? This is very annoying.
> >
> > (I wonder if it can be the source of many problems that people report
> > here about umass devices.)
>
> Hi, I have similar problem with Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4- I can't boot from
> usb flash drive or usb floppy drive 9times of 10. My APC ups was
> recognized only after OS is booted up and usb cable reinserted. Looks
> like this is Gigabyte problem only- all other motherboards work without
> any usb issues. Bios upgrade does not help. Changing any bios setting
> does not help either.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R w/ a Logitech G5 mouse and usb keyboard. I had
to switch to usb2 on freebsd 8-current for the keyboard to attach after boot.
I have enabled usb keyboard support in the BIOS (otherwise the keyboard cannot
be used during the boot process). Everything is working fine now.

--
Pieter de Goeje