Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2012 03:12:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <lars@larseighner.com>
To:        Subhro Sankha Kar <subhro@80386.org>
Subject:   Re: Tweetless

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012, Subhro Sankha Kar wrote:

> On 04-Jul-2012, at 7:44 PM, Lars Eighner wrote:

> Let us for a minute assume that there is nothing wrong with FF. How about
> installing Firebug and see in the "Net" tab that what precisely is
> happening when you load the Twitter main page?

The firebug font is way too small to read and I cannot find the means to
increase it (the increase text size in the drop evidental refers to the text
size of the subject tab, not the firebug interface.  Nothing at all seems to
be in the Net tab, however, it is not clear this is active when the subject
page is loaded.  Firebug crashes firefox repeatedly when the subject page is
reloaded or when firebug offers to reload the page itself.

> Is it waiting for
> apparently no reason at a particular place?

The first page after login (twitter "Home") always stops in the same place
-- after it draws the tweet box in the left column (but leaves the tweet box
non-functional). Some of drop-downs on the top bar work, but others do not
drop down.  Links in tweets do not open in new tabs (as they usually do) and
if they link to twitter pics, those pages will not fully load.  Using the
reload link in the "slow loading" message will (at first) reload pages which
generally stop in the same place, but repeated reloading eventually leads to
nothing but the background showing up.

>  Also, not strictly required,
> but can you also pass the traffic through something like LiveHTTPHeaders
> and post a traffic dump?  As a third step, run a "pcap" session and see
> what is happening on the wire/air ?

When I findout what these are.

>> Adapter Description
>>       GLXtest process failed (exited with status 1): GLX version older /
>> than the required 1.3
>>
>> WebGL Renderer:
>>       Blocked for your graphics card because of unresolved driver issues.
>>
>> GPU Accelerated Windows: 0. Blocked for your graphics driver version. /
>>       Try updating your graphics driver to version /
>>       <Anything with EXT_texture_from_pixmap support> or newer.
>
> This probably means that none of the "advanced" rendering stuff work on your X setup.
>

>> The only drivers that work with this machine (Intel G33) are intel and vesa.
>> The intel driver does occasionally freeze X entirely requiring a boot, but
>> this is not what happens when trying to load twitter pages.
>
> This is a completely distinct problem but probably it would be interesting
> to try and figure out why Graphics Acceleration is not working.  I have
> very limited experience with Intel Graphics chipsets.  In the i915 days,
> there used to be something called AIGLX which required some explicit
> configuration in xorg.conf.  Could you check on that?

My understanding from reading the xwin list and others is that the intel
driver is in some aspects broken for x.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html