Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2006 02:10:27 +0200
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: away

On Thursday 30 March 2006 01:30, David Xu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in the
> past, I have made lots of work in FreeBSD threading work, this includes
> kernel threading in earlier stage and thread libraries later, and gdb
> support for these new thread libraries from kernel to userland everywhere,
> spent lots of time to work in libpthread, and later make libthr to be best
> performance library for mysql and possible other applications developed on
> Linux and make it run on most platforms we current support.
> because the work load was large, I admit I have made some coding

David, while I'm not involved or very qualified to comment on kernel/threading
work, I do realize that this is one of the most difficult things to work on.
I also understand that FreeBSD has chronically shortage of qualified people.
And as anyone should understand, the changes between 4 and 5+ were huge here.

I can only say that as a FreeBSD user and small scale contributor I very very
very much appreciate all the work you've done. I hope you reconsider. FreeBSD
needs people like you (well, they also need people like me but not as hard).

> mistakes which some people think it is serious while other don't think so,

Everyone makes mistakes. Perhaps we even spend most our times making mistakes.
It's not mistakes that are to blame and certainly not yours (no matter what
exactly happened), it's the simple fact that we have too few people. Having
one less, especially a very good one, only makes that worse.

> I don't think it is not fixable, time goes and things will be fixed, think
> about FreeBSD comes from a 4.x which is ignorant about true kernel based
> thread, changing to current thread based kernel is really a painful thing
> to do, even with recently 6.1, I still have fixed lots of thread suspension
> race which I think is obscure, of course, my work does not stop on
> threading, recent, I also have added signal queue, POSIX message queue and

Ergo, we don't need more overworking or more blame. We need more people. And
well, maybe cooperation could be improved sometimes but that's really
secondary I think. It's about manpower.

> timer, made AIO MP-safe, these are all work-in-progress, but I am sorry,

This just sounds to me as way too much work and burden for one person.

> the attack made to me is very harmful, I feel I can not recover from such
> disaster, working on FreeBSD is no longer fun. I will still use FreeBSD,
> but no contribution, current it is default OS I use in daily work from
> desktop to notebook.
>
> I wish FreeBSD will succeed as its 4.x versions did.

It will. But it will do so faster and better with you on board :(

Anyway, much obliged,

Dan