Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 95 9:28:20 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        hoffmann@wsl.ch (Christian Hoffmann)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, seidl@cdrom.com, rob@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Linux mouse 3 buttons

> I have now installed Walnut Creek Plug-and-Play Linux on my 486Dx2/66, for
> the xth time.

This is the BSD hackers list, not even the questions list; have you
tried the Linux mailing lists or news groups?

> I have the following problem:
>
> In Linux itself and in Xwindows the middle click of my Logitech Mouseman is
> not properly treated. It is processed like the left button.
>
> Yes, I can switch on the middle button of a Logitech Mouseman, by specifying
>
> chordmiddle
>
> BUT I need also interclicks, i.e. Holding down one mouse button while
> pressing another. This feature is NEEDED in Linux Oberon from ETHZurich.
>
> The mouse is ok in DOS/Windows. Can there be a technical flaw in the mouse
> that only Linux can "see"?
>
> Is there a mouse switch in the setup of Linux, or does it sense the mouse
> from the serial port at startup? If there is no switch, why is there in
> Xwindows?

I don't understand from the above whether this problem is in using the
mouse in text mode or in an X windows environment.  If an X problem, then
you need to examine your XFree86 man pages.  Start with "man X", and
follow the cross references until you get a description of the "mouse"
line for your XF86Config file.  Most likely, you have lied to X and told
it you have a Microsoft mouse.  Microsoft mice have only two buttons.

I believe that you will find one of the other mouse type options will
fix the problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---