Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:31:01 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Floating point exceptions.

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, David Malone wrote:

> Is there a way of setting the control word which is in any sense
> portable? Most machines I've looked at seem to have no documented
> way of setting what exceptions should be masked, and each one that
> does has a different set of calls.

No.  C99 provides an (optional) portable way of setting the rounding
mode (fesetround() corresponds to fpsetround()), but doesn't provide
a portable way to set the precision or exception masks.  It only
provides fesetenv(), and the only portable args for fesetenv() are
FE_DFL_ENV (which gives the default environment) and a pointer to
a result filled in by a previous call to fegetenv().

Bruce