Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 16:23:56 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jbryant@tfs.net, dennis@etinc.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vendors registry

> I would write a book for FreeBSD, but...
>
> o	It takes ~2000 hours to write a decent book.  This is one
> 	man year.  FreeBSD can't maintain stable interfaces for
> 	one man year, so my book would be outdated.  Linux can
> 	mantain stable interfaces because they have to walk a
> 	terrifically fine line between all their various distributions.

Strange.  I've just signed up with Addison-Wesley to do the
long-awaited FreeBSD book and I don't anticipate any trouble like
this.  It's also not like I'm documenting the kernel interfaces or
anything since that's not the kind of book that the great majority of
people really need anyway - they need something which describes how to
create various types of FreeBSD based solutions.  If somebody wants to
write "The FreeBSD Kernel Hacker's Guide" then they're more than
encouraged to go for it, but I don't think that the market is quite
ready to support that kind of book.  A general "FreeBSD Bible", yes,
and that's what I'm going to write.

> o	I would have to voice my honest opinions about some very
> 	idiotic things which never change, even though they have
> 	been pointed at time and again and the statement made "hey,
> 	look here at this idiotic thing".

Which perhaps suggests that pointing at things and saying "hey, look
here at this idiotic thing" isn't the way to change things?  Naw,
you're right, that's too logical a conclusion to make - what was I
thinking?

> [Additional drivel about kings and oil-rich countries deleted]

					Jordan