Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 01:22:41 +1100
From:      jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using CVSUP to update the Ports collection...

At 6:31 AM -0800 18/12/1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

>oy! if you want a copy of the cvs repo, then you want to set
>'base=/home/ncvs' and use 'cvs -d /home/ncvs' as your cvs command.

No, I don't want the whole thing, just the ports.

>however it's much easier to just get a copy of the files you need,
>add the line:
>
>*default tag=.
>
>and leave it at /usr to just get the most recent files.

Okay, excellent. So, I should change my cvs-cvsupfile to read:

*default release=cvs
*default host=cvsup.au.freebsd.org
*default base=/src/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default delete
*default use-rel-suffix
*default compress
*default tag=.
ports-all

does the 'tag=.' tell it to just update files that are already found locally?

Is it possible that running cvsup as I did without the tag=. could
have stuffed up my ports collection? It's just that I tried 5
different programs and they all failed... here's the output of `cd
/usr/ports/misc/less ; make install`...

su-2.03# make install
===>  Patching for less-340
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for less-340
Ignoring previously applied (or reversed) patch.
1 out of 1 hunks ignored--saving rejects to Makefile.in.rej
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

su-2.03# more ./work/less-340/Makefile.in.rej
***************
*** 15,21 ****
   LDFLAGS = @LDFLAGS@
   O=o