Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:24:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: www/data index.html

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> I did a quick analyse for the german web pages. Before your change,
> in average 18 users/day came from freebsd.org (http referer field).
> After your change only 3 users/day. Thats more than 80% less ;-((

(1) Over what period is your 18 user/day from?  Looking at last
couple months observer that hits on www.freebsd.org are just
barely starting to come out of the Christmas slump.  If your
18/day comes from before the slump, the comparison isn't really
valid.  (2) Weekend hit rates are lower than weekday hit rates as
well, resulting in the same sort of bias.

Show a trend over serveral weeks and I'll believe the stats.  By
then I'll have an alternative link to native language resources
back in place and I'd hazzard a guess that this precipitious drop
you observe will wash out.

Don't get me wrong, I am in complete agreement that links to
native language resources deserve home page status, and I had
every intention of finishing the changes including those links by
now. Alas, I injured my back early yesterday and sitting at my
computer for more than about 8 minutes is quite painful, thus the
delay.  :(

-john