Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 19:28:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        proff@iq.org (Julian Assange), julian@whistle.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: detecting devfs from userland?

In article <19971126232220.5569.qmail@iq.org> you wrote:

> Is there anyway to detect if the running kernel was built with
> -DDEVFS, other than trying to mount -t devfs ? (i.e a way that
> doesn't require root privs? sysctl -a is of no use here.

I think that having devfs creating its own device would be nice thing
for this purpose... i.e., just stat "/dev/devfs" to check if devfs
is running.  As an added bonus, devfs operations can be added by
reading, writing, or ioctl'ing this device.

this can work if you need to check whether devfs is running _now_,
as opposed to knowing whether it is compiled into the kernel.

Julian, your comments?