Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:22:00 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Dan <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
Cc:        mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory + apache

--Md/poaVZ8hnGTzuv

Dan(dphoenix@bravenet.com)@2001.08.30 09:06:44 +0000:
>=20
> Yeah that is what I am thinking to. My guess is some large array allocated
> in the php code maybe or a sql query taking to long to finish eating up
> all the ram. That is kind of interesting to know. I would think the

configure php with --enable-memory-limits and look what happens
du you use mm in any module?

> backstore would maybe be moved back to the paging system after the memory
> is free to use again at the very least. My understanding is once return
> address of memory used in swap is accessed a page fault occurs and then it
> would be taken out of swap space. I guess maybe what is happening is that
> that memory got into swap and is never used again so that is why i keep
> seeing those numbers in the swap space, or like you said the system just
> has decided to leave it there once it has gone in.
>=20
> I'll have to do some more research but I guess this is comming down to
> more of catching the offending apache process then watching vmstat for
> page in and page outs happening.....I would say it's fairly obvious that
> that is happening before it hits swap.

just a wild guess: not apache but (if not php and a script) one of it's
modules (which is nasty to debug).
there are some misbehaving proprietary modules out there.
is you apache configured monolithic or dso/apxs?

>=20
> Anyone have recommendations on catching what php code it is accessing at
> that certian time or how to track it down.
>=20

cheers,
/k

--=20
> A Puritan is someone who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is
> having fun.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--Md/poaVZ8hnGTzuv

--Md/poaVZ8hnGTzuv--