Date:      Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:15:27 -0400
From:      bsdfsse <bsdfsse@optonline.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMWare 2 works on FreeBSD 4.10-Stable (SOLVED!)

I have mostly everything working now: special thanks to George Hartzell,
Christian Hiris, Phusion, and Orlando Bassotto.

I will write up my experience after I digest it a little more.

A few of the gotchas were that I originally did not install "bridging"
when I installed vmware, and when I did, I was binding it to the wrong
NIC (I was binding it to Christian's NIC, lol).

For some reason I *had* to select "Custom" as the VM's ethernet type,
and use the value of "/dev/vmnet1" when I did. "Bridged" and "HostOnly"
did not work.

Also the VM's gateway setting had to be that of my Linksys router, and
not the "Host IP" of my FreeBSD machine.

I ended up running VMWare 2.0 on FreeBSD 4.10-Stable.  I will make
another attempt at VMWare 3.2 and also using FBSD 5.x when I have more
time (in about 2 months).

I am ecstatic, I get to run FreeBSD now! Woo Hoo!!

thanks!