Date:      Fri, 05 Oct 2012 13:40:09 +0300
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
Subject:   Re: flashplugin 11.2r202.238

04.10.2012 22:16, Jerry wrote:
>> Yes, it is a bit of a PITA isn't it. I wish flashplayer could be
>> replaced be something better that works on UNIX and all platforms for
>> that matter. Maybe HTML 5 will enable people to do without this crap.
>
> This isn't a matter of replacing it, it is a matter of making it work.
> It works fine on Windows and Ubuntu and from what I have been told,
> most other flavors of Linux. Therefore it doesn't take a frigging
> Einstein to deduce where the problem lies. Of course, it is always
> easier to blame the other guy.

"Just works" is not about flash plugin and never was.

1. Each update fixes another exploit. What about code quality? Would
there be any progress in it?
2. https://github.com/kripken/BananaBread/ works on my computer. Yet my
computer is too slow to run flash scrollers. Flash is ancient, slow and
ugly.
3. I can run current flash on my computer under windows, but linux
version has already dumped my hardware. I ought to stick to older one
for flash support.
4. Have you ever tried hitting adobe support forums? Your yell would be
forgotten quickly. And FreeBSD never was supported by flash.
5. Adobe sees no future in flash. End of support of npapi for Linux
version was already announced.

There are a number of projects that try to deal with flash like swfdec,
gnash or lightscribe. I still think emscripten is a right way to go.

--
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.