Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 03:16:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question (or complaint) about sup

On Sun, 19 Nov 1995, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >	I know, kinda vague.  For example, /usr/src/lib/libncurses
> >is 1.8.6...from 1994.  I'm on the ncurses mailing list, and the
> >ncurses I have on the system right now is 1.9.8 (1.9.7a + a bunch of
> >patches).  I dont' want to do a 'make world' and have my ncurses
> >replaced...
>

> I would suggest creating an exclusion list for tha areas of the tree
> you don't want updated.  Read the SUP man page for details.

	Got it...but it only solves half the problem...the "make world"
still doesn't work, since as soon as it tries to compile libncurses,
it will fail, since it doesn't exist...

	And...yes, I can modify the Makefile, but as soon as I
re'sup, there is a good change that will get replaced...

	One of the things I noticed was that the "root makefile", in
/usr/src, does checking of subdirectories as to what has to be compiled
and what doesn't...

	...I don't mind trying to hit all the appropriate Makefiles,
but if I do, is there somewhere I can submit them so that it becomes
part of the supserver, so that I don't have to modify each time...and I
would think that there are others that have similar requirements to ...
omit stuff out of the source tree for various reasons.

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.