Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 06:50:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Dyson <dyson>
To:        craigs@venus.os.com (Craig Shrimpton)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, deasey@netpath.net, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mailto:questions@FreeBSD.org

> > A hint, you're asking the wrong question.  Stop thinking Linux and ask
> > what you mean.
> >

> ELF is not specific to Linux.

I think that the question that he asked is probably regarding both the
ELF format and the potential advantages.  FreeBSD already has a dynamic
shared lib scheme similar to the SunOS method (for nearly a couple of years
now.)  Note that Linux is just now getting a dynamic shared lib scheme
at the same time as ELF.  As far as the binary format itself, it appears
that a.out will continue to be the FreeBSD native format until multiplatform
support demands a change (or a langauge or feature forces it.)  FreeBSD
will most likely be able to run linux ELF soon.  The FreeBSD
development tools will still produce a.out until the FreeBSD format
changes.

(Hope that this clarifies the situation.)  Also, I sure wish that we
would learn to be more tolerant of apparently innocent questions being
asked.

John Dyson
dyson@freebsd.org